Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Warm Healthy Breakfast

It's cold and gloomy here in Cali today.  I wanted to make something yummy for breakfast to keep everyone warm and happy.  Since we are trying to eat healthier, I decided to make oatmeal.  Problem is: my wonderful kiddos have eaten sooo much oatmeal that they are just plain tired of it.  They are good natured and would eat it, but I wanted them to enjoy their breakfast today. 


We have a couple different ways that we make oatmeal with add ins like raisins, apples, etc., but I wanted something different. So... I did a quick internet search for variations of oatmeal and found Kath's Tribute to Oatmeal over at katheats.com 


They definitely take oatmeal seriously! If you check out her tribute you will know what I mean. =)  Several of her recipes looked and sounded yummy to me, however I didn't have most of the natural foods she uses (nuts, seeds, etc).  I ended up using part of her Whipped Banana Oatmeal recipe and some of her "stir in" ideas.  


I made Old Fashioned oats according to the directions, but added thinly sliced bananas with the oats.  I followed Kath's directions to stir in the banana to "whip" it into the oatmeal as it cooked.  When the oatmeal was done, I added a little vanilla.  I have to say the oatmeal tasted very good at this point, slightly sweet with a touch of vanilla and very creamy. Yum!


The kids bowls were topped off with crunchy peanut butter and raspberry jam. It was a hit!
Personally, I opted for blueberries on mine.  Delish.  The only way it could have been better was if I had some granola to sprinkle on top.  I will definitely try more of Kath's recipes. 
                                                            Yummy and Healthy!
Now everyone is warmer and moved on to conquer the day.... Schoolwork, chores, crafting, whatever this day brings.  Martha I am not, but my children are warm, happy and will have fond memories of breakfast with Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment