Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Latest Obsession.... a sneak peek

A few days ago, I was helping my daughter research a project for school when I stumbled upon a site about recycling old clothing.  They had several great projects including making a duffle bag out of an old army coat.  Something about it sparked my creativity and I thought about making purses with some of the clothing in my closet packed in boxes just waiting to be upcycled.  And the digging commenced....

Among the many shirts, skirts and sweaters, I found 5 jean skirts that I had meant to embellish and sell.  To be honest, I've had them for quite a while, but the good intentions just never kicked into action.  Destinee and I sorted through our fabric, ribbons and scraps and began sewing.  We found a great vintage silk tie to use as the purse strap for the first one. 

 It went so well that we ended up sewing all night!   We did the final touches the next afternoon (after a much needed nap) and then started on another one.  We opted for a crocheted strap on this one...




 I think they have turned out so very cute!!  They are fully lined with lots of pockets inside and out...cute and practical!!  =)

Destinee modeled the purses for me and I have added these bags to my etsy shop.  Now I just need to decide what color to use on the next one.   What color would you like to see??

No comments:

Post a Comment