Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Burlap "Santa" Bag Redo for Valentine's

We finally did it. We took down our outside lights and Christmas decorations.  If it was up to me (and the kiddos) they would still be up.  My husband however, was ready for them to come down by New Years Day.   We held on as long as we could, but had to succumb to the Higher Court  lol.
I did not take a picture of the outside bag before we dismantled it.  This picture is of the one inside on our living room wall (yes everything BUT the tree is still up inside!!) 
Our outside bag was similar (no toys) and nailed to the wall by our front door.  When we were taking it down the kiddos asked to leave the bag up, so I had to quickly come up with an idea to utilize the bag and still fit with the new decor we are putting up.  We decided to make a Valentine Cupid Bag. This is the sad looking bag after being "stripped" of it's Christmas finery.
I looked through my fabric stash and found a red fabric with small white hearts and flowers and some denim in pink and brown stripes.  I cut two large hearts and decided to slip stitch them onto the bag with embroidery floss.
I used chunky slightly uneven stitches for the look I wanted.  I also reversed the colors - I used red floss on the pink fabric and pink floss on the red fabric.

Our finished product....

I think it turned out pretty cute.  The kiddos are going to make some Valentine envelopes and we will have them "spilling" out of the top of the bag.   Not bad for a last minute use whatever you have laying around project.  =)
Next on our list: Front Door Wreath

No comments:

Post a Comment